Wednesday, March 02, 2005

MaTh Sa PerYA

Last weekend, I went to Zambales with my bestfriend Can. Fiesta kasi dun eh. As usual kumain na naman ako ng lato at ng sapsapuyo. Last saturday night was the first time I ever went to a "perya". And mind you, it was sooooooo crowded I was afraid that there might be pickpockets in the area. We went from the popcorn stand to the place where people would place their bets. Ang daming varieties. Nakakaaliw.
Syempre nagbet din kami. And it was our first time. Here is the scenario:

There are six different cards on the table. There is a funnel directly on top of it. The one betting will throw the pingpong ball through the funnel at kung saan tumapat yung bola, yun ang panalo. You can bet from 1 peso to 100 pesos. If you bet 1 peso and you win, you will get 5 pesos. If you bet 100, you will get 500. So basically, it is 5 times the amount you bet. Examining the table where you have six card to bet on, I figured out that If I try to bet on four out of six cards, (4/6), then my chances of winning is 2/3!

Ano ibig sabihin nito?

Simple lang. If I bet on 4 out of 6 cards, I have a higher probability of winning. So pag nagbet ako ng tig-1 peso on each 4 cards, I will be spending 4 pesos. But if I win, I will be getting 5 pesos. That gives me 1 peso "tubo". The same way, if I bet 2 pesos on each of th 4 cards, I will be spending 8 pesos. But if I win, I will be getting 2 *5 = 10 pesos. Hence, If I bet some XX amount of pesos and I win (which has a higher probability than losing), then I will have a "tubo" of XX amount of pesos.

Dry run.

Can and I started betting using 1 peso for each of the 4 cards. And yes, we won. So we got 1 peso. We tried to bet 2 pesos for each of the 4 cards. And we won again. So we got 2 pesos. Syempre pataas ng pataas yung bet. We were so happy then because we almost got 120 pesos! At medyo naiinis na yung nagpapalaro sa perya.

Then we finally bet on 25 pesos for each of the 4 cards. Syempre nyerbyos kami. Oh well. Since there is a 2/3 chance of winning, there is a 1/3 chance of losing. At yun na! We failed. Shempre napa-"yes" yung mga nagpapalaro sa perya. Hehehe.

So we ended up winning 20 pesos.

At least the math works. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home